Haveli

Mar 8, 2014


Haveli by Zeenat Mahal

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's always a pleasure to read a Indireads novella, the winning point being its quality. So far, I have read four and I never had a complaint about the characters, writing or the the story. The stories, being a novella, are just a slice but still you can get a hang of the whole picture. The characters aren't flat but have depth. The writing is undoubtedly above average, infact a few novellas make a distinct mark. I am now confident that Indireads is doing a sincere job handpicking deserving stories and author.
Talking about Haveli, its all that's mentioned above. The lead character Chandni comes across as a confident, egoistic women at the surface but she reveals her naive, dreamy little girl side to us, the readers. Orphaned at birth and brought up by her grandmother, she goes through a phase of illusioned love. The 'literary' conversations between Chandni and Taimur are interesting but would have become a overdose had it not been a Novella. Another aspect which of course did not bother me while reading but left me wondering later on was the story's setting. It's set in Pakistan in 1970s but that makes little difference to the story. Overall, another quality work from Indireads.

Add this book to your Goodreads account...
Buy this book from...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation gayathri
    I downloaded a sample in my kindle aftet reading your review. I really liked what I read. I have bought the book and am looking forward to a nice light read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Aarthi, I somehow missed your comment. Never mind, am sure you have already read the book and liked it. Indireads novellas always make a good read, no doubts.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion. Your comments would make my day :)

Copyright © 2014 Living a Thousand Lives...
Template by These Paper Hearts