Oleander girl

Feb 23, 2014
Oleander Girl by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
My rating:  4 out of 5 star


Oleander girl is the second book am reading, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, after Palace of illusions. And am thoroughly convinced what an excellent story teller she is.
Her strength is in making the characters seem so life-like. The characters in Oleander girl are 
 not the usual cliched pampered-spoilt-rich-son or business-minded-mother or gossip-loving-servant!  This book is probably one of those which reflects contemporary Indian youth, or atleast those who strive to balance their lure and roots, perfectly well. The story was gripping throughout and I was eager to know what Korobi will be upto next. I also loved that the story did not have any dramatic twists and turns, which would have made it less realistic. Thinking of what stops me from giving it a five star, I guess its because that the story by itself is not fast paced and doesn't give me a high while reading inspite of all the pluses mentioned above.
Add this book to your Goodreads account...
Buy this book from...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gayathri. Strangely, my blogger dashboard has not been giving me any updates about your blog .. I just happened to check out your space anyway to find so many!
    I have read Chitra Banerjee's Palace of Illusions too and found it be a real masterpiece. I then read Sister of my heart which I did not like much.
    Have you read 'Yajnyaseni' by Prathiba Ray? That is also a retelling of the Mahabharatha from Draupathi's perspective and is an excellent read. Do try it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thats sad Aarthy, I had been in a blogathon during January and seems like I have missed you. You too were missing in action I believe :-) Welcome back!
      I heard about Yajnaseni only recently and sure am going to give to a try now that there is recemendation too :-)

      Delete
  2. I too loved Oleander Girl. Palace of Illusions is one of my all time favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion. Your comments would make my day :)

Copyright © 2014 Living a Thousand Lives...
Template by These Paper Hearts